Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Trunk or Treat Memories

The babies are snoozing & I have been multitasking, ordering flowers for my step grandfather who passed while trying to price hot dogs & pop corn for the trunk or treat. So I guess i am feeling sentimental or nostalgic but I got to thinking about trunk or treats of the past and just thought I would share with you. I was thinking maybe at the end you could comment on memories you have or maybe not.. This might be your first time at WBBC's trunk or treat. Let me take you back to my first one.

I am sure I am going to flub some dates but the first trunk or treat. It would have been about 17 yrs ago. Jami and I had been married for about a year and a half and we were not wholeheartedly looking for a church. Joey was leading the 3 youth at WBBC. Okay.. Maybe 4 youth, Mr. Carr's granddaughter, Al Ashley's (past music minister) 2 daughters and I think 1 more teenage girl. My parents were at WBBC and we had visited.  June White decided that omething needed to be done for the community and there needed to be a little fall gathering. There was a few trunks, hot dogs and chili & a fire where the 4 teens hung out over where the gym is. There couldn't have been a handful of people there. What I remember most was how welcoming June was. I distinctly remember her telling us to come on in, make ourselves at home and get some chili. I don't remember if they had a trunk or treat the next year or 2. By that time I was pregnant the next year and very sick, had a miscarriage in Dec & then was pregnant & delivered the boys the following Sept. Both were in the hospital that Oct.  So fast forward just a few years and the trunk or treat had grown as the church had grown. When Gene Mince came to the church the trunk or treat became more of a festival. He is a a great carpenter and he built games for us so the kids would have more to do then just go around to the trunks and get candy.  We still use many of those games today and several schools have used them for their fall fests too. For several years we had a chili cook off. One year my mother won. Our family got a huge kick out of that and several folks were sure the judges had been paid off. Lol  we started the bake sale many years back as a fundraiser for the children's dept. I can see Valencia Carr walking thru the fellowship hall door now carrying her apple cake she made every year, Mr Carr following her      carrying the chili. I can see my grandmother and Neal (step grand father who just passed) getting out      of their car and making their way to the bake sale. They didn't come to the church much but they always came to trunk or treat when they were able. Mawmaw always bought a cake to put up for the holidays. Neal just loved the fellowship.

The trunk or treat has always been an opportunity to invite others to the church and it has worked as an opening for others to come back to the church.  I remember seeing The Garmon family at the trunk or treat and it opened the doors for them to visit the church and now we have watched their children grow up at WBBC. I remember seeing Tyla Hood's kids walk into the parking lot for the first time. I guess I should say carry because Tessa was a baby! I remember Shay Layton's first trunk or treat. I don't even know if she has visited the church yet but I do know we were talking about her visiting & she was talking to Joey about building her a house and her she rolls in with her bug and decorated the trunk. I was so excited. I remember one of the Bacchus's first times. Big David had built a mummy and made it into a game to have by his car. I remember crazy adult costumes. Mary Pruitt stands out     because I remember her being static cling and making her hair stand up. Mary is a beautiful lady both
 inside and out but she was gorgeous with her hair standing up. I remember great trunks, one with real  gold fish! I remember my Dad year after year saying, " you want me to cook how many hot dogs?" Eventually saying, "I guess I need to bring the larger grill. " I remember my mom calling me saying so and so is donating this. I have seen men who would barely walk thru the church doors volunteer to drive the hayride, and men work all day long just to get a screen made to show a ball game on. I have seen youth drag the games up and down the stairs each year and people bring in donations of drinks, candy or mums that was huge blessings. I remember going food shopping for trunk or treat with Amy Martin and Kendra just going into someone's field and cutting down cornstalks. Yes I said someone's field.. She new we needed some so she got us some! Lol I have seen church members who have passed  & some who are still with us be so glad to see their children and grandchildren come to the trunk or treat. Faces light up when they see their grand kids in costumes. After a long day and long night, I have seen Jami haul kids to go roll yards. I have spent many Friday nights at church with mom, Debbie and other women decorating for Saturday. I watched my twins go from full costumes, to a Halloween shirt & camo to just regular clothing as they have aged  at trunk  or treat. When they   were little they would tear holes in their costumes by playing so hard that night and I would have to go buy a new costume or make something up for Halloween.  I have so many memories, good thoughts, surprises, excitement to see others type of moments that I can't include them all. I know God has blessed me at with many happy times so just thought I would put my thoughts on paper as we prepare for another trunk or treat. I would love to see some old pics of people dressed up or even a comment. You might have had family show up or an old friend you were happy to see. There might have been a family show up that you invited and from that invite you have seen God work in their life.

As we move thru next week, I'll be emotional thinking about my mom not being with us. I know it is just a trunk or treat to many but  for many years to us it was a family affair,  I guess like a holiday. Pray  for great weather and pray that this year we reach families who do not have Jesus in their lives. Pray that when people step onto the pavement at WBBC that they feel the love that we have for them. I look forward to seeing your costumes and trunks. Your friendliness and welcoming hearts at trunk or treat is what makes it a success. People look at y'all and they see the love of Jesus and I thank you for that!

1 comment:

  1. I remember being at one of my first few Trunk or Treats and watching Alabama vs. Tennessee and watching Mount Cody block the kick leading to an Alabama Victory and the whole parking lot went crazy(well at least the Alabama fans)! So many fun memories, costumes and one of my favorite trunks as "Noah and his ark full of animals!" Love this time and will definitely miss our "Good Witch-Sissy".

    ReplyDelete