Monday, June 11, 2012

Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone

So funny how God lines conversations. preaching & opportunities up. After the youth went to Six Flags on Wed.  Arlo was telling me about the scavenger hunt & how the youth were challenged to go up talk, get a pic with people that they might normally shy away from. Examples were someone w/ lots of tattoos & piercings. Then Joey spoke about how we do the same ole things because we are creatures of habit, sit in the same ole pew, teach the same way in Sunday school & expect church to always start at 11:00. These topics made me start thinking. I always sit in the same pew. I might get to know others in the church better if I moved around some or I might have a different perspective on how the service was sitting in the back verses the front. I might be a more effective teacher if I mix Sunday school up a little. You all know by now that I am shy & struggle with this so definitely walking up to a person who looks different than my normal friends would be hard for me to do. I am always in my comfort zone. I pretty much don't travel outside of RBC during the week, I talk to the same people & visit the same stores. If I was a dog, I'd be a good dog because I stay close to home. So last night we decided to venture all the way across town to Alabama City & pick up Little Caesars pizza. I was waiting in the car for Jami to come out &  there it was.....God showed me what I needed to see. This extremely dirty young guy walked in front of my car. He was slouched over like the entire weight of this world was on his shoulders. He was the picture of down & out, pitiful looking!  The Christian inside of me should have gotten out of my car & went up & talked to that young guy but the devil won & shyness along with other fears took over. The only thing I even said was to Jami when he got back in the car & that was did you see that poor looking guy???FAILURE, DEFEAT, DEVIL PREVAILED! But did the devil really win? I tossed and turned all night, praying sometimes specific, sometimes random thoughts. I woke up early with clear vision that I need to step out of my comfort zone or I am not going to be a very effective Christian. What does this mean for me? I don't know yet but I think this week I am going to purposely shop on the other side of town & let God place someone in my path I can talk too. I know I will be in a different pew Sunday. Who knows... I might be sitting beside you!

 Lots going on with the kids this week so here is the list!

Wednesday night June 13. 5th grade boys go to Sonic. Bring money for whatever you chose to eat. Be back at 7. The rest of the kids will be doing missions with Teresa Coley & Mollie Williams.

Friday night June 15th . Leave church 6 pm for Trussville Playstation. Cost is $25.00. Should arrive back by 10. Need to know who all is going so I can plan on transportation.

Sunday June 17th Doughnuts with Dad. 8:30 in the fellowship hall. For kids to bring the special men in their lives to church for a lite breakfast. Will need some moms to volunteer to help with this.

Friday June 22 Family movie night in the gym featuring " Yogi Bear". Free popcorn & drinks. Step out of your comfort zone & INVITE SOMEONE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment