Monday, September 29, 2014

(Singing this in the tune from veggie tales, oh where is my hairbrush?) oh where are my children, oh where are my children, oh where,ooh where, ooh where.. are my children? Did everyone decide to get together and skip church yesterday and just not tell me? 9 total children in children's church!!!! Are y'all trying to kill me? Ok y'all get the point! I missed my kids but I do know where most of you were and I know many of you have lots of family issues going on  right now. Next time, just put me in a suitcase and take me off with you. I'll bring my own food money!

We had a trunk or treat meeting yesterday so let me cover that before I talk about kids stuff. Same trunk or treat as in the past yrs, Saturday, October 25, 6-8. Church people doing trunks or games, or helping with and aspect of trunk or treat need to be at church NO LATER then 5:00. We have to get cars in place and eat before people start arriving. People will arrive early!We need people to decorate their trunks and pass out candy. If you have never decorated your trunk,  Google trunk or treat ideas and you will find some great ideas. The youth will be working the games and helping inside the kitchen. I will have a game list for youth to sign up Wednesday night. Amy Martin will be handling the bake sale with proceeds going towards Winter Extreme. Make plans to bring a cake to donate. Questions? Hit Amy up and she'll be glad to help you. This year we will not serve chili. I know some of you are bummed.. Jami was really bummed but we had so many people come thru to eat and we just can't make enough to feed so many people. We had 20 crock pots last year and ran out. Plus, it becomes expensive when you have some people bringing chili, donating a dessert for the bake sale, decorating their cars, buying candy for their car, and buying themselves and kids a costume. We will still serve hot dogs, which have been thankfully donated, and chips in the fellowship hall. Last year we had no room in the fellowship hall but I think moving the chili tables will free up a little space and I was thinking we could put some tables outside. The gym will have the small inflatables for the younger kids, I am going to have a inflatable for the elem age kids, The train will run on the same side as normal. Ashley Fortenberry will be doing face painting and Allison Williams and Lauren  McVeigh  will handle the popcorn. Glenda Southerland will work the registration table. Diane  Robinette has volunteered to try and get donations for giveaways. Darrell will get the cornstalks.  So let me say what we need.. Of course, we need people to do their trunks. People to make a bake sale      item. We need people to come decorate Friday night. We will need someone to go pick up the goldfish Saturday.  I'll need someone to go to Working Man Rentals and pick up the lights. Some items we could use  that maybe people would like to donate would be hay, mums and pumpkins. You can even bring your own mums from home Friday night, then take back home Sat. night. We will need people to clean up after trunk or treat is over. For the next two Sundays I am  going to ask the church to bring in 2L drinks and bags of chips. They can be put in the fellowship hall. I know people are going to say doesn't the church have a budget to cover buying all of this stuff. We do. It is small and by the time I have rented inflatables and pay for candy and prizes it is gone. Not to mention we have to rent  lights and normally pay for hay. Yesterday I had a suggestion for  a new way to gain contact info. The suggestion was that we make a photo booth, and  get the person's email address to send the picture too. We have props from vbs to use for a photo booth but I need someone to take the pics,  handle emailing the pics and setting up the booth. This would probably need to be done in the  gym  due needing lights. Any one? I forgot to mention we will have live music again by In Like Ben.

Sorry y'all I know I was all over the place with all that stuff but I also wanted to say a few other things about trunk or treat. This is not a kid function, this is a church function and it will take everyone to be involved to make it a success. Start praying now that those who visit our church that night that they will find love & acceptance from us. We want to be welcoming at our trunks, at our games and as we serve food. Someone might eat 5 hot dogs or a child might visit your car 10 times but we need to still show them love and kindness. We are representing Jesus. We also want to think about our costume selection. In my opinion Halloween is what you make out of it but I know there are others that don't feel that way, so just keep that in mind.  We don't want to see someone dressed up like Chucky because you will scare little kids and this big adult to death!!! With all that said and me sounding like  negative Nancy, I don 't think any of this is an issue with our church. I have seen you all serve with love and kindness for many years. I personally, have had no issues with costume  choices. You also decorate the best trunks! If you have any questions or issues about trunk or treat   please do not  hesitate to contact me.

Now on to the kid stuff. Friday night is Family Movie Night. We will watch 'It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" and  "Wallace and Gromit: the Curse of the Were Rabbit". Both movies are rated G. We will have pizza and concessions starting at 6. Movies begin at 6:30. Bring a chair or blanket. Please let me know if you think you will be coming so I know how many pizzas to purchase. This is a great chance to invite another family or bring some extra kids with you. A free night out including supper and snacks. You can't beat that!!!

Saturday, October  11, we will go to the Green Pumpkin Patch in Southside. I plan on being at church at 9:30 if anyone needs to follow me or you can meet us at the patch at 10.  It is off Slasham Rd. which is right off Green Valley Rd.  They have a maze, zip lines, nature trail and the pumpkin patch. Adults are $5, children are $10 and babies under 2 are free. Pumpkin you chose is extra charge.

October 12 the little kids, 4-6 yrs, who have been singing with Vickie on Sundays, will perform a few songs. Go ahead and tell the family to come see your star sing at church!!

Keep Josh McBurnett's mom in your prayers tomorrow as she has surgery. Keep Sherry Runyan's mom & Candace Harwood's mom in your prayers. Keep Kelsie and Blake in your prayers as they get married Saturday and Wayne and Karon Fortenberry's daughter, Katie, as I believe she gets married  this month too. Someone was saved at church yesterday. Praise God for that!!  I know I have rambled and probably forgot a lot. I hope you have a great week & I better have my kids back Next Sunday!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Parents of 4-5 yr. SS Class: Just so you all won't think I've totally lost my mind, I wanted to give you a "heads up" to this Sunday's lesson. For the sake of the boys this week, and the girls next week, we are not studying a lesson out of our regular study book. To make the boys happy, we are reading about dinasoaurs. That's right - that's been a request. I just don't want to lose their attention completely, so I think if just every now and then I mix it up a little, the boys and girls might stay more focused. There might even be a treasure chest that gets put in the mix with treats to those who listen. Just want to try this maybe once every couple of months. I sure hope this is all okay with you all. Please let me know if it's not.

    ReplyDelete