Monday, August 19, 2013

Back to School Time

Well it is a start of another school year. The twins did great getting up and moving this morning. Baby Jack is back with me this year and he ran in like he had never been without us for the summer & my Jack is up watching cartoons, so a very easy morning in the Christopher house. Tomorrow I add taking my Jack into preschool for the 1st time, so I am anticipating tomorrow being the more stressful morning as far as getting everyone out the house on time.  As usual, I forgot to take a picture of the 1st day of school so maybe I’ll remember when the boys come home this afternoon.
I know today is stressful for the parents, very emotional for many, but I want to give you something to think on & hopefully encourage you. I have been waiting & saving this message all week. Last Saturday I was listening to the radio and the speaker was talking about when Jesus was a boy. Back in the day & maybe now for all I know, Jews were considered men at the ripe old age of ……12! Can you imagine your 12 year old being considered a man at 12? I personally don’t consider my boys men until they are off living on their own & supporting themselves. Anyway, back in the old times momma’s children grew up a lot quicker than ours do in America. I am sure in many countries in present day children are considered adults at much younger ages than the typical American age of 18. We are blessed that we don’t live in a time  or country were our children are expected to be adults, work the harvest, work in sweat shops, no school because they have to walk to the well to get the days water supply or be married off at early ages. In our society we get to have our children live under our roofs, provide them with everything the need, love on them for many years, experience many teenage first with them and in many cases send them off to the best colleges where they live off of mom & dad’s dollar until their 20’s. We get more time to love and experience our kids now than any time in the past. So yes I know many of you are upset this morning, but enjoy the moment, sit back and soak it up knowing that you are blessed to be able to watch your child walk into school, or catch the bus for the 1st time.  God gives us encouragement in Jeremiah 29:11-13, For I know the plans I have for you, “declares the Lord, ”plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. So that is telling me that God has a plan for my child, a plan that includes prospering & not harming him, He gives my child hope and a future, not only all of that but then if my child calls on God and prays to Him, He is going to listen to my child’s prayer. Then when my child seeks God, he will find God. I don’t know about for yall but that is pretty encouraging for to me. I know that during any situation that could come up during the school year that God is with my child. That brings me peace.  I hope all this makes sense. Maybe I need to jot down notes when ideas come to me, but I would probably lose my notes. I love having my boy’s home with me all summer but I am not at home crying today nor did I shed a tear this morning. I know this is the process of growing up and they have to go back to school and I am thankful my children have the opportunity to walk thru the school doors for another 1st school day because so many children do not get that chance.
I love the fact that WBBC is a church that isn’t afraid to change preaching up a little and welcome children, youth, teachers, parents & grandparents to the alter for a special prayer. I think it really shows our children that our church really supports them and in this world they need to see that support. As a parent of school age children I am thankful for everyone praying yesterday for our children. I am thankful for Jenny Clough’s encouraging words to the students. I am thankful for Godly teachers in our schools who I personally know have prayed for their students. A praying teacher is blessing! I look forward to Sunday and hearing the kids tell me about how the 1st week of school went.  I did want to give you parents a tip that I feel like works wonders at our home on school mornings. Believe it or not, my house can get loud and rushed, when boys don’t want to get out of bed, or eat or someone forgot they needed cash at the last minute, it can be crazy. Sometimes I have to get loud to get them moving. Anyway, it seemed like mornings just weren’t the best time for us years ago, so once we are in the car and everyone is calm & collected, we pray. I might lead the prayer or one of the boys might. Either way, it is a calming moment where my kids know all is alright & ok because we are talking with God. I think it helps us put the morning unhappiness behind us & gives them a positive feeling for the day. Try it! I think you will find it is a great way to send your children off for the day!
Ok lots going on at WBBC the next few months. Move Up Day in Sunday school is  Sunday September 1, September 14 is the Beth Moore simulcast & I know they are trying to get the word out on ticket sells, Sunday September 15 is National Back to Church day and we will be pushing high attendance in SS that day, October 13 is the Old Fashion Day where we will celebrate our church’s 100th anniversary and Trunk or Treat will be October 26.  The children will start back their regular Wednesday night lessons in Big City Studio September 4 and the new class for children 3 ½ - 5 yrs. will start that same night. Ashley Fortenberry and Donna Smith have volunteered to teach this class but I am looking for one more helper. Pray on it & let me know if you are interested.  This Wednesday night the children who are moving up to youth are going out to eat at Zaxby’s. Meet at the church at 5:45 be back at 7. No money needed. The other children will have devotion & games led by Teresa Coley.  Wednesday August 28 the kids will have a back to school blowout to celebrate making it thru the 1st week of school. Lots going on so be in prayer that everything we do brings someone in contact with God. Get out an invite someone to church. We have so many events at WBBC to invite someone too. I always feel easier asking someone to some event and then once they are there & comfortable with me or people they meet I’ll invite them to preaching or Sunday school. Whatever method works for you when inviting someone be like the Nike logo and JUST DO IT!
Keep Haley Smith, Kathy Tullis and Brenda Jones’ Family in your prayers. Say a special prayer for those kids who moved up to middle school or high school today. Those seem to be the toughest situations. I know we are going to have a great year… How can we not when we have Jesus on our side?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment